Tuesday, April 17, 2012

April 2012: SongKran and Scrapes


Wow, hard to believe it has been a whole year since I got to Thailand. So much has happened yet it seems to have flown by, a month at a time. SongKran is the time Thai people really let loose and have fun. It’s their new year, and it’s also the hottest time of the year, so what better way to celebrate than by having the biggest squirt gun fight of all time? Weeks in advance, vendors are set up all over the city to sell squirt guns and water buckets, and the moat fills up with water. They put up signs that say “danger, deep water zone” and I always thought “don’t they know that just makes me want to jump in even more?” The traditional way to celebrate is by giving honor to one’s elders. This is done by giving them flowers, apologizing for any wrongs committed in the past year, and asking for a blessing. The elders (parents, grandparents, teachers, etc) then dip their hands in water and put it on the top of the younger person’s head, blessing them with water to start the new year fresh and clean.
For Taw Saeng SongKran, we had a special day planned. We all dressed up in our best Northern Thai clothes (long wraparound skirt and loose top for women, baggy linen pants and shirt for men) and did a program. Amelie, my sweet piano student, played Fur Elise (well, the first two pages anyway, which is all anyone every recognizes) with such confidence, you would never guess she just learned it a month ago! The little girls did a dance that Orawun taught them, Sophie choreographed a traditional Lam Thai dance for another group of girls, including herself (I was so proud of her!), Matt (one of our part-time English teachers) played a popular Thai love song with backup from our teen boys on guitar and vocals, and the women all sang a Northern Thai ballad that is as well known as America the Beautiful would be in US schools. It was funny though because it is Northern Thai, so some words I don’t know at all, and some are words that I know but mean something entirely different. For example: Miow means cat in Thai, but is the name of a hill tribe in Northern Thai. Don’t want to mix those up! Everyone did such a great job performing and the whole day was capped off with the kids lining up in rows for blessings from 4 people: P’Bua our chef, P’Anhkhana one of our Thai staff, the wife of our CEO, and myself. Not sure how I ended up in the group, I think it was partly because I was the next oldest, partly because I was leaving and partly because the other people we invited to partake in the ceremony didn’t show up. I don’t really care, it was fun either way. The last person in my line was Sophie, so that was kind of cool to get to take part in this traditional ceremony with her. The rest of our day was spent getting soaked with water by our neighbors on either side and joining them in soaking passersby.
The next day was time we had planned for a while to go visit Sophie’s parents’ graves up in Mae Taeng. It’s hard to get up there or to get directions from anyone as to how exactly to get there without someone who had been there a million times, but we finally, after about 5 attempts over the year, made it. Ahna had Jasmine’s car and we had a couple people set up from TS to come with us too so we could do some songs and pray and plant some flowers. Well, at the last minute, Angkhana and Napapon had to back out, so Sophie invited some of her friends from her old village to go. We caravanned to Ahna’s place, went to pick up some flowers to plant and a spade to do it with, and were on the way. We had to call the Akha pastor a couple times to get more specific directions, but we finally got there! I took pictures of all the turns this time, so we can find our way again next time. 

I was really happy that we got to do this before I left for the States, I think it was a good healing time for Sophie. She hadn’t been there since her mom’s funeral, and she was in shock, so I don’t think she even remembers much about that day. We bought several pots of flowers and transplanted them into the dirt around the graves, so it looked really nice. Ahna brought her harp, and I had my guitar, so we sang some songs, and said some prayers, took some pictures and headed home, stopping for lunch on the way. We left Ahna’s house, dropped off Sophie’s friends and planned to meet up at Taw Saeng to go throw some water at strangers, when disaster struck. I saw it happen and I still don’t really understand how it happened. We were driving through a green light, Sophie in front of me, when all of a sudden, she was skidding along the street on her elbow! Apparently, the car in front of her had slammed his brakes on, even though the light was green and there was no reason to stop. They had been doing construction there recently, and I think there was still some sand on the ground, so when she slammed on the brakes, they locked and she tipped. It was SO scary. I drove up on the curb, tossed my bike down and ran into the street to get her off the ground. Luckily, it was a busy time of day, so there were many people to help. She was scraped up, but not bleeding too badly, so she was able to drive home, but we didn’t leave the house again that day. I just went out to get us dinner and ice cream and I patched her up as best I could. Worst timing EVER, because the following day was her birthday! She just kept saying, “I don’t understand! I’ve been driving for 2 years and I never fell before. Why did I fall now?” I kept explaining that is how accidents happen. Even if you are super careful, there are always unexpected things that occur to cause accidents. 

Poor thing, the next day, she was so sore, but wanted to go at least watch people playing in the water by the moat and hang out with her friends. We went to the pharmacy in the morning to get some new bandaids and some advice on how to make sure she didn’t get infected. We left with iodine, saline solution, bandaids and cotton balls. It was a painful process to keep infection from setting in, but worth it. Poor Sophie, I have been in her place before, and I know how excruciating that pain is with saline and iodine. We did make it to the moat, but I forbid her to drive the rest of the week with anyone other than me because it was such a dangerous time to be driving at all, you never know when someone is just going to dump a truckload of water on you from the side and try to tip the motorbike over!
Well, I met up with my friends that day at the wall and kept checking in with Sophie on her end of the moat. We met up in the afternoon because she wanted to go eat moogataw at the restaurant with her friends, so I drove her home to change and she picked up her birthday cake that Ahna and I made FROM SCRATCH! (I know, never would have guessed it, huh?) and went out with her friends. I guess the whole restaurant ended up singing happy birthday to her. I was so bummed that I missed it, but I guess that is what happens with teenagers, they don’t want you around when they are with their friends. Sad. :( Funny thing is, her friends all wanted me to come, but I let them have their night. 


Saturday was the next day, and we changed her bandages, went back to the moat and spent another day flinging water at people. I must have walked 3 miles at least that day! I met up with Lucy (remember her? My Thai teacher from last year?) and we walked around with her boyfriend and saw so many Taw Saeng kids swimming in different places. I even saw Molly out! I was shocked, because she is NOT the kind of kid who wants to be around groups of people at ALL, let alone getting water dumped on her unexpectedly. When I asked her about it, she was like “yeah, my friends called and wanted to know what I was doing. I was like ‘I’m staying home. I’m not gonna throw water today’ but then they came to my house and forced me to come throw water, so here I am.” I was like, “Yeah, that sounds about right.” Hahaha
Monday, April 16, we ate moogataw with Winnie’s family at their house, and it was a great time! We all went shopping together in Jasmine’s car at the huge market and got all sorts of food. Kilos and kilos of food! I kept trying to get other people in the neighborhood to come share with us, but they were all going to sell stuff at the markets. All the other parents of the Taw Saeng kids were saying goodbye and how much they were going to miss me and saying “you are coming back, right? Taw Saeng won’t be the same without you!” It was good to get a chance to say goodbye to everyone, but so hard too because I will miss them all so much! It was almost better that there was no big farewell moment at Taw Saeng when I left because I know I would have cried. At the end of dinner, when I was saying goodbye to Winnie’s family, we were all crying. Well, not Sophie, but she doesn’t cry at anything, so she doesn’t count.
I finished packing and moving all our stuff to Ahna’s house (Sophie’s stuff) and Grace’s house (my stuff) and then we had one final farang family dinner with Ruth and Sacha and Rachael and Sophie before we all went to the airport. The weirdest thing happened. Even though I had been choking on my tears all week and would nearly break down at the slightest provocation, when we got to the airport, I was totally fine. I said goodbye to my dear friends and my daughter and got on the plane. Then, at liftoff, I cried.  

No comments:

Post a Comment